He just posted an article titled “Some thoughts on Pandora’s Promise and the nuclear debate”.
I find myself agreeing with most of his points. I share these views of his article:
- Radiation risks of nuclear are much less serious than risks from global warming or from coal.
- People should dump coal before nuclear.
- Nuclear energy is an expensive way of decarbonizing getting more expensive all the time.
I would like to add:
- Nuclear has peaked long ago and is in decline.
- Many supporters of nuclear energy damage their case by attacking renewable energy.
For these reasons I think it is highly irresponsible to count on nuclear for the climate bailout.
I wish I was wrong. It would be nice to wake up one morning to a World where nuclear is not in decline, not opposed by everyone in sight, and to quote Roberts “you have a reactor in your backyard that consumes nuclear waste from past reactors and emits nothing but fresh air, clean water, and the scent of jasmine.”
Don’t count on that happening. And don’t try to stand in the way while renewable actually does the job while preaching about that brave new nuclear future.