January 12, 2005

Disabling RSS

Looking at my logfiles I found that a service named bloglines used 1.9 gigabytes of my bandwidth yesterday, placing it at the top of the list of visitors using the most.

(Update next day: The above doesn't make sense, as Rik Lambers points out here. I assume now that I have been fooled by a bug in my log analyzing software. Sorry for giving a wrong impression about bloglines)

That seems to happen by requesting the RSS feed for this blog every few seconds.

I am sorry to say that I am not able to deal with this kind of excessive use. I could start blocking services like that for this kind of behaviour that is quite close to a DOS attack on my server, but I would probably only run around in circles and never catch up with the threat.

Therefore, as I disabled comments before in reaction to abuse by comment spammers, I have now disabled all RSS feeds for this blog. I am sorry for everyone who used to read it that way, but I don't see any other way to keep bandwidth usage under control.

(Update: The bandwidth reported consumed by my log analyzing software seems to have been a fata morgana. However, I will still let RSS disabled for the time being until I understand what is happening here.)

(Further Update: The RSS 2.0 feed for this blog is back, as well as the RSS 1.0 feed. Thanks to FeedValidator for helping verify this.

Posted by Karl-Friedrich Lenz at January 12, 2005 11:44 PM | TrackBack